It’s Important To Realise That It’s Okay To Talk About Depression

TW: This article addresses suicide.

Sometimes I feel like we are living in a fast-paced world. Every person wants everything as soon as possible, which cannot be done.

Success, money, give person a better life but sometimes it also leads to depression.

I never thought that one day I will be able to talk about this topic, but when I went through this period and I got out of it, I felt I should talk about this.

What is Depression?

Depression is said to be a mood disorder that affects ones’ mood, thinking, feeling, as well as the behavior of an affected person. I have felt it personally.

During that period, I just want to be left alone, and I hated it when someone came close to me. The most grave this was that I cried for whole nights, and I felt like days were going by but my life was sedentary. I had no courage in myself and always feard if I will be able to do this work, maybe I will fail? What will society say? They will call me a loser, my parents might get me married. What about my dreams? And such tremendous thoughts came into my mind, and that time, I felt restless and I felt there was no hope I totally renunciated my self, my hobbies, my passion even my dreams. If there was only one thing left in me, it was fear or anxiety.

This anxiety pushed me back to do something new.

How To Overcome This Depression?

People afraid to talk about these things and they think they are ‘mad’. They think that running away from their problems is an easy way, that suicide is a way out. I was a person who thought like this, and yes, I tried it too.

I remember how I overcame this.

I talked to myself. I questioned myself, I meditated, I moved towards nature. I did what I liked, and I talked to my friends without any hesitation. I was the person who took myself into a state of depression by overthinking, and I was the person who fought with myself and with fear or anxiety.

I remember one day when my parents told me you should get married; we’ve found a good guy for you. That time again I feared but I didn’t panic. I smiled and said no to them. I told them that I want to study and I want fulfil my dreams. 

Yes, it was not that difficult. When I said no and I took a stand for myself I felt so light. I felt a very heavy stone lifted from my chest;  I felt so light. Yes, everyone was against me; but this time I was not against myself, I was with myself. Now, I am with myself and that’s enough.

If you love your dream, then go for it. And that’s what I did

To overcome depression is not an immediate process, you have to gather your courage every day. People will undermine you, ignore them. I know it’s not easy to ignore them, but at that time close your eyes and think about your dreams then it’ll be easier to ignore them. I got medical treatment as well. I went to a psychiatrist, and I went through many counseling sessions. And this process took almost 7 months.

Why Am I Telling You This?

Because I found that our generation wants everything as soon as possible, but when they can’t find those things they go into depression.

Suicide is not an option. If you have a problem in your life then there is a solution to this as well. If such a thought comes to your mind, then immediately question yourself.

1) What are you doing?

2) Why is this kind of thought coming to your mind?

3) What do you want in your life?

4) Do hard work. Maybe you might fail, but don’t give up, and collect your courage and fight with that problem, like a warrior.

In this world, every person can introspect within themselves. Each time, talk to yourself, and you will find your answer.

Now, mentally, I am fine. Problems do come in my life, but now, I don’t feel fear, after I face them.

A study as reported by the WHO, conducted for the NCMH (National Care Of Medical Health), states that “at least 6.5 percent of the Indian population suffers from some form of the serious mental disorder, with no discernible rural-urban differences.”

According to an India Today report, India is one of the most depressed countries in the world.

Suicide is the third leading cause of death among 15-19-year-olds.

It is our duty to spread positive vibes. If someone fails in their exams, do not put pressure on them. Every child is special, every person is born with different qualities. I faced a lot of pressure 6 years ago. In Kota, an education hub, many students die every year, due to the fear of what will be their parents’ reaction.

I am urging all parents to please talk to your child, ask them what’s going on their lives, if they are ok.

They don’t need parents, they need friends so that they can speak openly, without any fear. Understand them.

Always give them advice but don’t put pressure on them. They will fall down, but you have to lift up your child.

#It’sOkToTalk

Give them their time. They need your time. Depression can be treated easily. It’s totally up to you.