New CCTV Footage Shows Delhi Police Allegedly Beating Students In Jamia Library

In the latest revelation in relation to the Jamia University violence, on 15th December 2019, CCTV footage suggests that the Delhi Police allegedly assaulted students in riot gear, entered the university’s reading hall and beat up students who were studying, with lathis.

The Jamia Coordination Committee has released this CCTV footage. It allegedly depicts the assault on students in the University library, by police personnel and paramilitary forces. This happened amidst anti-CAA protests in the area.

A group of Jamia Millia Islamia University students and alumni have released this  CCTV footage.

The video, tweeted by the Jamia Coordination Committee, alleges that the police entered the library on the first floor of the MA/MPhil section. The time-stamp on the CCTV footage shows the cops entering at 6:08 pm and purportedly hitting blows on unarmed students.

As ANI news agency has quoted Special CP, Crime, Praveen Ranjan .”A new video of the incident has surfaced… We have taken cognizance of it and will investigate the matter”.

In December, this incident, of police intrusion into the University campus, took the nation by storm. According to students, police intruded the campus and started firing tear gas shells on those who were protesting peacefully.
Many claimed that the injured were not even allowed to get medical attention. Students alleged that the windows of the library were smashed and around 50-60 students were inside.
Delhi Police has been denying claims of violence against students. But an “internal Delhi police also found that three bullets were fired, though the police had initially claimed that it did not shoot at students.”
Now since this CCTV footage will go under required scrutiny, can we expect a breakthrough in favour of the assaulted students?