Menstruation Is Not An ‘Abnormality’ And Men Need To Understand That!

Menstruation, a natural process or in fact a simple term is gradually been normalised, but have you ever wondered what has been your period journey, as a cis-gendered man? For me, the journey has been quite similar to what most of the people without a uterus in this country have gone through. The school curriculum has a chapter on the reproductive system but ironically is limited only to paper. It is never taught fully and if done, it remains a formality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km-srnEeocg Furthermore, the term ‘menstruation’ has unofficially been classified as some kind of filthy thing which is of zero significance and is in the books only to be mugged up and spat if asked in the examination; mostly for men. Even I was not taught about the process and was never made aware of the significance and impact of menstruation. It was only when I observed my own sisters using pads that I came to know that there is something of this sorts, but this ‘something’ remained ‘something’ for quite a few years. The problem is schools harbour and propagate such discrimination and mockery for such a normal bodily function. Boys are never taught about menstruation which is considered to be an “only female” issue and many a time even controversial.

While concluding I ask you, were you made aware of the process before you encountered it? #DontSkipThePeriod

Featured image for representative purpose only.