Opinion: When The Govt Picks Sides, Neutrality Is A Tool To Validate Oppression

I do not know who should I address this to, because I believe We, The People of India do not seem to be the ‘we’ anymore.

Over a period of constant violence, bandhs (strike), protests and gruesome scenarios of life and death, I no longer know who I turn to because every time you do turn for an answer, they just say the same thing – “It’s not my fault, it’s them.”

DelhiViolence2020
NEW DELHI, INDIA – FEBRUARY 24: Protesters hurl stones at Police personnel during violent clashes between anti and pro CAA demonstrations, at Jaffarabad, near Maujpur on February 24, 2020 in New Delhi, India. A Delhi Police cop and three civilians have died, a DCP-rank officer injured, a petrol pump torched, a number of houses, cars and shops burnt after clashes between pro and anti-CAA protesters in Maujpur and Jafarabad areas of North East Delhi. There was tension in the area after hundreds of anti-CAA protesters, mostly women, blocked a road near the Jaffrabad metro station connecting Seelampur with Maujpur and Yamuna Vihar. (Photo by Raj K Raj/Hindustan Times)

The death toll in the National Capital Territory of Delhi has increased to 18, which also includes Head Constable Lt. Ratan Lal. I do not know who might be right or wrong, I do not hold an opinion on whether the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) or the National Register of Citizens (NRC) is the right move from the government, or not. All I know is that the history of riots have just followed through, and the country is burning. But, what I don’t know or what I don’t want to know is what do I even say about it?

With the growing age of violence, what has also grown deep inside, I think, is the fear to hold an opinion in the first place, because the moment you hold an opinion, there comes along a series of tags.

• If you happen to favour the government then you’re Pro-Modi and Hindutva.
    • If you happen to be anti-the doings of the government and pin-point a flaw, then you can be many things, for starters let’s say – anti-national, traitor or pro-Pakistani. 

Every opinion you hold can be used against you because that’s the thing, you just aren’t allowed to hold an opinion altogether; unless you are a pro-goon party member and can write down an undeniably long letter of praise and the idea of ‘Akhand Bharat(Undivided India) and that’s the point.

One can afford to be neutral only when the government is just. When the government picks a side, neutrality becomes nothing but a tool to validate oppression.

A Concerned Citizen,
or let’s just say,

Maybe, An Oppressed Citizen

Featured image credit: Getty Images.