North East Delhi Shows No Signs Of Calming Down, Death Toll Rises To 20

The death toll in North East Delhi continues to rise as seven more have reportedly died raising the number from yesterday’s 13 to 20.

The violence which broke out earlier this week is considered to be ‘the worst communal violence’ to have taken place in decades. The incident has left more than a dozen dead and around 189 injured. What initially started off as a rally against the controversial CAA in Jaffrabad, soon escalated into communal riots due to the rising tension between supporters and opponents of the Act.

New Delhi, Feb 24 (ANI): Protestors throw brick-bats during clashes between ani-CAA protestors and the Supporters group of the Citizenship act, at Jafrabad in North-East Delhi on Monday. (ANI Photo)

There has been a crackdown in North East Delhi since the incident took place and Section 144 had been implemented in the region. Schools have been shut down, and CBSE board exams have been postponed in those areas.

Meanwhile, National Security Advisor, Ajit Doval visited riot-hit areas such as Seelampur, Maujpur, Jaffrabad, and Gokulpuri Chowk to assess the overall situation.

As the death toll rises, there seems to be no sign of the situation calming down as the rioters continue to pelts stones at each other and burn down shops and vehicles.