Quick Byte: Did Assam’s NRC Data Vanish Into Thin Air?

People displaying their NRC forms. Image credit: PTI

The National Register of Citizens (NRC) data, in Assam, apparently disappeared this Tuesday, on February 11, 2020. This online data was stored in a cloud server. It has been said that the data was lost due to payment and technical issues.

According to reports, payment to WIPRO had been delayed. It has also been alleged that there was no backup for this data, and that only one person knew the password to access this data.

The NRC process in Assam has been conducted by the Assam Government, with Indian Administration Service officers as coordinators. The process further is under the Registrar General of India. An estimated cost of ₹1,600 crores was spent on this data by the Government. Whereas, the population of Assam spent a whooping ₹ 7,800 crores on the NRC data for Assam.

The NRC project, which began as a pilot project in two Assembly constituencies of Assam, namely Barpeta and Chhayagaon, is now being aimed to transform into a nation-wide project.

With massive faults like this, this aim seems a little too high.