#PeriodPaath: Letter To Govt Representative Asking For Better Menstrual Hygiene

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

To,

The MLA
Meerut City.

Respected Sir,

I am a resident of Meerut city and a regular college going teenager. I would like to make a humble request to you to please be aware of the menstrual hygiene issues girls go through, in schools and colleges. With a little of your help on the issue, we might reduce the risk of death causing diseases among women and girls. Here are some suggestions that might come handy.
– Girls toilets in schools, equipped with sanitary pads vending machines can be very helpful.
– Toilets must also have big size mirrors to check for any stains.
– A gynecologist must visit the schools regularly to spread awareness and help girls in need.
– Early menstrual hygiene training must be provided to adolescent girls in early school.
– Sanitary products are still considered expensive for a large group of girls in our town. Cheap and good quality sanitary pads must also be made available for us.
– Public toilets should be made easily available to provide safe and clean personal space to menstruating girls.

Our society has come up to speak up against the taboo but there is lot that still needs to be done, that is only possible with your help and support.

Best Regards,
Rishita Patel