One In Five Women In India Suffer Through This, Yet It Is Neglected

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, or PCOS, as we all call it, is a hormonal disorder common among menstrual women. The causes of this disorder are not certain, but one of the main reasons behind PCOS is the problematic lifestyle that this generation is leading. Lack of nutrients, irregular sleeping patterns, minimal water intake, no physical activity and weight gain are some of the major reasons behind PCOS.

A few symptoms of this disorder are irregular periods, acne, weight gain, excess facial hair, hair loss and infertility. Between 40 to 80 per cent of women with PCOS are overweight or obese, which can further cause diabetes or diseases related to the heart. Up to 70 per cent of women with PCOS have insulin resistance, meaning that their cells cannot utilise insulin properly.

Insulin is a hormone the pancreas produces to help the body breakdown the sugar intake from foods for energy. When cells can’t use insulin properly, the body’s demand for insulin increases. The pancreas makes more insulin to compensate. Extra insulin triggers the ovaries to produce more male hormones. Obesity is a major cause of insulin resistance. Both obesity and insulin resistance can increase your risk of type 2 diabetes.

Menstrual pain
“One in five women in India has PCOS. The numbers are increasing day by day, but there is a lack of awareness. Women having this disorder are unaware of this for years and take this issue lightly.”

One in five women in India has PCOS. The numbers are increasing day by day, but there is a lack of awareness. Women having this disorder are unaware of this for years and take this issue lightly. There should be more awareness camps around PCOS. The Health Ministry should set up awareness programs educating women of reproductive age, because people in our country still think of ‘ladies problem‘ as a taboo.

We live in a world where women are in leading positions, but there is negligible concern about their health. There is no proper treatment for this, but a change in lifestyle and food habits can make wonders. Weight loss can regulate your cycle and help improve your symptoms. Our body is our home, and taking care of it should be our priority. So ladies, eat healthy and live healthy.