#PeriodPaath: Menstrual Hygiene Change-Maker

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

To

Ms. Senthamarai Senthil Kumar

Health and Education Standing Committee Chairperson

Enegolle Panchayat,

Kurubarapally P.O

Krishnagiri,Tamil Nadu

Subject: Request to arrange a campaign through Village health Sanitation and Nutrition Committee on Menstrual hygiene and pad disposal practices.

Dear Madam,

I would like to bring your focus on the issues  related to menstrual pad/cloth disposal prevalent in our Panchayat. As our women leader , I hope you are already aware about the alarming scene of pads being disposed in open space and then being picked by dogs and other animals. The appearance of used pad in open space is unhygienic and may lead to spread of bacterial infections.

Most of the adolescent girls in our village are first generation sanitary pad users, they receive pads through village health workers and Aganwadi workers, but older women in village still use clothes. This behavior also shows that the new users need awareness on usage, disposal and other hygiene practices related to menstrual health.

I would like to request you to help us to revive the Village Health Sanitation and Nutrition committee and conduct a campaign on menstrual health in all villages in our Panchayat. Along with the awareness campaign, if we could set up an incinerator in the High School in village, we can help young girls practice what we preach.

I hope my request will be taken in to consideration and together we can organize the campaign for the  women in our Panchayat  to have safe menstrual practices and healthy life.

Your’s Faithfully,

Nimmy Theresa