#PeriodPaath: Problems Faced By Menstruating Women 

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

To,

Municipal Corporator,

Virar West, Palghar

Maharashtra,

Subject:   Problems faced by menstruating women

Dear Sir/Mam,

This is to inform you about the problems faced by a majority of women and girls in our city. The subject of menstruation is still a taboo. Society does not allow them to discuss it openly. Sanitary pads or tampons are inaccessible to women of poor and conservative families. They resort to unhygienic means which may cause infections of reproductive tract and even lead to fatal diseases like cancer.

This pathetic state has to be changed by creating awareness about pads and other hygienic facilities and provide them at a very subsidized rate. Moreover, public washrooms should be provided at every conceivable point so that they are easily accessible to all. Vending machines should be placed at different places. In short, menstruation should not interfere with the education or career of any woman.

Ananya Aloke