“Gandhi and Godse Are Ideologies. We Have To Adopt Gandhi And Reject Godse”

We are going through an era, where I believe, every day a Godse is brought before us. A couple of days ago, we all saw how a “Gopal” (FB profile name) came and shot at a student outside Jamia Milia University. On 30th January 1948, a man whose mind was filled with hatred killed Gandhiji. Remember, that the partition of our country also happened due to this same hatred. We cannot see that bloodshed again, therefore, we have to adopt Gandhi and reject Godse.

This is a country of non-violence. Whenever violence happens in the country, then Gandhiji’s element of non-violence is remembered. Gandhiji had ideological differences with many people, but enmity with none.

In order to have ideological differences, one must have their own ideology, but nowadays, I believe some people have reduced their ability to think independently. Anyone can provoke them easily. And what happened in Jamia is a living example of this matter.

Left: Anurag Thakur. Right: Shooter outside Jamia.

A few days before this incident, a minister raised the slogan “Desh ke gaddaron ko goli maro” (shoot the traitors). According to the BJP, is every person who does not follow them, or opposes their ideology, a traitor to this country? When did we start thinking like this? We are a democracy, and here, every person’s words and thoughts should be heard, but unfortunately, this does not seem to be happening today.

To make this happen in our country, we have to adopt Gandhi and reject Godse. Non-violence is the only answer to violence. No Gandhi is made by just wearing a Gandhi cap. We have to implement his ideas.

We must also understand that democracy has no place in fascist ideology, the parliamentary system has no importance in it either. Seeing religious nationalism at its peak today, if Gandhiji had been on the road, he would have fought a non-violent fight with fascism.

We are being taught the lesson of communalism in the name of fake nationalism. a blindfold of fake nationalism is tied on our eyes.  By removing that blindfold, we have to read Gandhi’s non-violence, Ambedkar’s constitution and history of India’s freedom, so that no one can come to Ramlila Maidan and spread a lie in Gandhi’s name. So that no one can stand in Parliament and say that only the Congress party is responsible for the partition.

They can all speak so openly because they know that there are many people who do not know history. So that’s why we have to read history. Only after reading, we will know that along with Ramprasad Bismil, there was AshfaqUlha Khan, who sacrificed his life happily for this country. Fascist people want to bring India back to the brink of the same events that transpired in 1947. If we don’t want to let this happen, we will have to adopt Gandhi and reject Godse.

Today, 43 percent of the MPs in our Lok Sabha have criminal records. They are there because we have chosen them. It is our fault that we did not know their information, did not know their education, did not know how much property they are holding and for what they are charged. We did not bear the responsibility of conscious citizens. This was our mistake. But mistakes can be corrected.

We have to remember that we are citizens, not subjects. We have elected the Prime Minister, not the King. And the Prime Minister is accountable to the citizens. When we chose all these MPs, why did we forget that this is a country of non-violence, a country of Gandhi?

The media, which is now behaving like a party spokesperson, is also responsible for this scenario. It is not that the media has become weak. It is more powerful than before, they can portray a murderer as a leader before you. We have to be cautious about this, we have to choose a leader, not a murderer. Because this is Gandhi’s country, not Godse’s. It is a country of non-violence, not of violence. Gandhi and Godse are ideologies. And that is why I always say, ” we have to adopt Gandhi and reject Godse.”