Why Doesn’t Indian Society Favor The Girl Child Just Like The Boys?

The population census of 2011 revealed that the child sex-ratio was 918:1000. This was alarming as it denotes an extremely biased sex ratio in India towards the male child. For centuries, females in India have encountered discrimination, and gender rooted bias. The female child is not considered as favorable as the male child. This is due to the perceived notion that women have a limited income earning potential as compared to men. Girls are often considered inferior and treated as a burden by many. They do not receive the same advantages and privileges as boys growing up.

In India, the female child is not considered as favorable as the male child.

The sex ratio in India is also indicative of the social evils which take place against women, such as female foeticide. In India, owing to several social and traditional customs and beliefs, social evils against women such as female infanticide, female foeticide, sexual, abuse, domestic violence, and harassment over dowry still take place. As a result, there is a need to save the girl child and ensure her health and safety. While growing up, many girls are not given a chance to grow and develop to the best of their ability.

Save the Children‘ (STC) strives to provide millions of underprivileged girls access to education, nutrition, and healthcare they require to lead better lives. Since the establishment of its operation in India in 2008, ‘Save the Children’ has greatly impacted the lives of over 10 million children. This NGO believes that every child deserves to thrive, not just survive. All girls should have the right to be born and do well in life. Therefore, it is a priority for NGOs like ‘Save the Children’ to save girl children. The sex ratio points towards the perceived social value and importance of the girl child.

We must encourage the effort of organisations like these. Thanks to the financial support it receives from its generous donors, this NGO runs various social welfare programs across 19 states. To empower women and save girl child, it engages with various communities to spread awareness on the issue of the importance of the girl child. It greatly aids the government in spreading and implementing their social welfare schemes as well. STC runs its operations in over 80 countries and works for the upliftment of all oppressed members of society.

There is also a great need to put into place laws that will guarantee the safety and progress of women. Education is a potent tool in the hands of women, as it allows them to become financially independent and take charge of their own lives. STC works dedicatedly to provide disadvantaged and marginalized children with the education, nutrition, and healthcare they need. This organization also supports the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao initiative started by the Government of India in 2014, with the goal of save the girl child. This program also seeks to address the problem of the sex ratio in India by making the survival and safety of the girl child its goal.

A host of social evils can be rooted out if more females in society are educated. More educated females in society would greatly contribute to the abolishment of child marriage, female foeticide, female infanticide, poverty, illiteracy, etc. In order to save the girl child, there also needs to be a change in the mindset of society towards the position of girls in society.