Period Paath: Stop Stigmatizing Menstruation

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

To,

Times of India

Central Bazar Road

Nagpur

I am writing this letter to draw your attention to the narrow-minded and wrong perception about the society on periods. I really don’t know or understand how it came to existence and why it is treated as unholy though it is something which is natural and God blessed us with it so that we can bore children.

There is not a single issue, but there are many issues which are disturbing girls life because of society stigmatizing periods. Firstly, girls are not allowed to enter temples to worship which is quite disturbing and they are kept separate from family. They are not even allowed to drink from the same water as other people do. They are kept in an isolated area where there is nobody which can even turn out to be dangerous as it adds risk to women’s security.

Such problems arise mostly in both rural and urban areas but are most prevalent in rural. This is because it may be a lack of education and people may add an excuse to it by stating religious reasons. But, we all know very well that it has nothing to do with religion as it is something with the will of God.

I appeal to you that please do something to break this stereotype which has been filled in people’s mind since ancient times. I also appeal that more and more people, especially in rural areas must be educated about it and moral education must be made mandatory everywhere.

“If we don’t hesitate while cleaning the poop of a body, why one should hesitate when a girl is menstruating?” It is as important as pooping. It too cleans the impurities of the body.

Look Forward to Hearing From you.

Yours Sincerely

Emerald Reshma Reddithota