Quick Byte: Supreme Court’s Verdict On The Telecom-AGR Dispute

The Supreme Court on 14th February 2020 pulled up mobile service operators and Department of Telecommunications (DoT) for failing to comply to the earlier verdict, which required telecom companies to pay the adjusted gross revenue (AGR) dues of over Rs. 1 trillion to the DoT by 23rd January 2020.

The telcos were ordered to pay the dues by 14th Feb midnight. The order said:

“The companies have violated the order passed by this court in pith and substance. In spite of the dismissal of the review application, they have not deposited any amount so far. It appears the way in which things are happening that they have scant respect to the directions issued by this court.”

Adjusted Gross Revenue(AGR) is the usage and licensing fee that telecom operators are charged by the DoT.