Delhi Assembly Polls: Are Freebies Enough To Lure Voters?

The strangest part of elections are the tall promises usually made by different political parties. The BJP has also not lagged behind in luring common voters by the significant gifts of electric scooties and cycles, particularly for poor girl students, should they happen to win the Delhi assembly polls. This way, it wants to woo a big chunk of young female voters belonging to poor families. What an approach! Obviously, not scary from any perspective. Right in a way that is both suitable and acceptable, almost inescapably.

This is also not new in the country’s democratic politics. It is really the elections that competently prompt shrewd politicians to soulfully think about the poor sections of the society. Now, slogans like “Garibi Hatao” (remove poverty) look completely redundant for them.

They plan well-worded manifestos very diligently. As a result, free promises get ample mention in the written statement of the political parties concerned. It is more like a tradition to formulate a potential platform for winning the assembly polls that subsists as of now.

The practice of distributing freebies has continued since the past days. Though the BJP looks critical of the AAP’s various free announcements, it submits to similar manipulation. Even Samajwadi Party’s Akhilesh Yadav had distributed cycles and laptops in Uttar Pradesh. What is wrong if the BJP now promises scooties?

It is indeed more than a dream for many, though the BSP president Mayawati in her tweet said, “the BJP government is selling dreams to people.”

In the midst of all the calculated criticisms, the party at power in Centre has prompted to bring catchy and hyper offers to the targeted category. As the BJP is desperately seeking to win and raise its number of seats in the Delhi assembly, it deals in no wrong initiative. If it luckily succeeds in its mountain of electoral effort, it will surely be a big leap – like Neil Armstrong’s walk upon the moon in the year 1969.

So it tends to act out with the free promise of scooties but forces itself to plunge down into double standards while sprinkling cost fallacy against AAP’s free facilities in case of electricity, health, water, education, WiFi, etc. It is quite humble for Arvind Kejriwal to say, “judge him on development.”

Honesty and accountability appear in this simplicity. If Delhiites claim he is a simple man as he adorns regularly the simple ironed dress, it is not off the mark. He has built his identity around with verbal, physical and social interactions.

However, Manoj Tiwari, BJP Delhi unit chief said, “Arvind Kejriwal has no chance in the Delhi election. He is going to lose his own seat from New Delhi constituency.” It is worthwhile to mention here that Kejriwal is contesting against BJP’s Sunil Yadav, Congress party’s Romesh Sabharwal and BSP’s Ramgulam. He had defeated BJP’s Nupur Sharma and Congress candidate Kiran Walia in the 2015 polls.

Will the intelligent voters surrender to what is prevailing in South Delhi or ponder seriously over the development designs or succumb to freebies? It will clearly be found out after the assembly polls outcomes emerge someday finally.

A total of 104 candidates in the Delhi Assembly elections have been declared to have serious criminal cases against them, up from 74 in the 2015 polls. The highest is from the ruling AAP, which has 36 nominees with serious charges, as disclosed by the Delhi Election Watch and the Association for Democratic Reforms.

Known for his oratory skills, Fisher Ames, US Congress Representative, said liberty has never lasted in democracy nor has it ever ended in anything better than despotism. Not only the BJP, the Congress, the AAP, but other political parties are also trying its luck in the fray.

As many as 36 seats are required for a majority in the assembly. A total of 70 seats are going to be contested. The term of the current assembly will be over on February 22, this year.