Love Is A Lot More Than Romance, Gender And Conventions…

Every year, Valentine’s Day is celebrated on 14th February worldwide. The day is about celebrating love. although the celebrations for it begin a week before, with each day being celebrated as Rose day, Chocolate day, Teddy day, Hug day and so on.

Well, for me, I don’t believe in the concept of celebrating Valentine’s day or celebrating love for only one day. Love is an emotion that needs to be celebrated every day and every moment of your life. And it’s also not necessary to celebrate Valentine’s day only with one’s boyfriend or girlfriend. It’s a day that needs to be celebrated with your loved ones, which includes your parents, friends, siblings, and pets.

You could celebrate it by just sitting on the couch in your house, watching amazing shows on Netflix and Amazon Prime (that’s what I do every year on Valentine’s day), and getting comfy in your pyjamas.

The other day, I was having a conversation with my friend about the idea of love in India. India was once a peace-loving country. But looking at the present political scenario, no one would believe this. Just take the example of the recent developments that have happened in Jamia Milia Islamia and Shaheen Bagh.

My friend told me about how young people are using guns and shooting in the air to create an atmosphere of fear and violence. They think that they have the authority to do whatever they want to do. A student in Jamia Milia Islamia was shot in the hand by a 17-year-old youth. All this is happening because of the hate speeches that are being given during the election campaigning of the Delhi Assembly Elections. Their speeches have instigated violence and communal hatred.

A similar incident happened in Shaheen Bagh. A youth opened fire in the air, but fortunately, no one got injured and the police nabbed him on time. In my opinion, all these incidents have been inspired by slogans such as the one made by Anurag Thakur: “Desh ke gadaaron ko, goli maaron saalon ko.”

Or take the example of homosexuality in India. Even after the Supreme Court scrapped Article 377, people are unaware about how they’re supposed to behave with a gay or lesbian couple. They still think that it’s a disorder, or that they are not normal human beings. Love is love. Period.

The time has come for them to understand how to treat them as normal human beings and make their lives better. Movies such as Dostaana or Shubh Mangal Zyaada Saavdhaan will help people become more aware and be more sensitive towards them, since cinema is like a mirror for a society.

Even after everything that Jamia students went through during the protests against the NRC and CAA, some of the students were seen offering flowers to Delhi police. This implies that they are ready to have a peaceful dialogue, and not through violence or hatred.

In the end, I would like to conclude that keep spreading love, peace, and happiness because that’s the need of the hour!