Opinion: Our Greatest Love Stories Are Not Always With Our Romantic Partners

In the words of Muhammad Ali, “Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It’s not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything.”

While on some days, friendship appears to be one of the simplest forms of human bonds, on the other hand, no words suffice to explain its complexity.

I could have quoted any famous person at the beginning of my article, but I would not have been able to perfectly summarise friendship. It is one of the greatest blessings for most of us.

While on some days, it appears to be one of the simplest forms of human bonds, on the other hand, no words suffice to explain its complexity. It is often said that you can’t choose your family, but friendships are god’s way of compensating for that. There is this beautiful calmness in friendship, but sometimes there are difficult days as well. 

It is always the strength and the unexplainable understanding between two people that outshine those days. Some difficult days last long but never long enough to break the bond.

The utter simplicity of friendship is beautiful and so pure. I think it is very important to take care of friendships with love and only love. Nowadays, so much importance is given to finding the ‘one,’ your soulmate, that sometimes we forget the one we chose a long time back.

What I am trying to say is that, with all the emphasis we put on finding the partner of our dreams, I think that far too many of us lose sight of one of the greatest love stories we will experience in life: the one with our friends. 

The friends we make at different times in our lives often go on to become our closest confidants, loudest cheerleaders, strongest supporters and worst critics. The friends we make define us and our existence. They are the mirrors we need and sometimes avoid because they reflect things we do not want to see sometimes. The truest of friendships survive the test of time and distance. They are the ones in which you can grow without growing apart.