To Have ‘Safer Internet’, We Need To ‘Have’ Internet First

Should you save your card details after making an online transaction?

Should you accept an online friend request from a stranger?

To what extent should you share personal pictures on a social media platform?

The answers to these questions could make our internet experience safer.

mobile phone
Currently, the internet is a crucial platform for voicing our opinions. It can make or break an existing regime.

From cyberbullying to phishing – there are various bottlenecks on the internet, which require solutions, to be dealt, with properly. As much as we need to talk about safety on the internet, India faces another internet-related issue, which requires our attention immediately. The Internet can be made safer, only if people have access to it.

Currently, the internet is a crucial platform for voicing our opinions. It can make or break an existing regime. However, of late, the government has been cracking down on this very medium and sealing the points of communication.

From Kashmir to Assam, even the capital city of Delhi has been facing several instances of internet shutdowns, as an attempt to prevent mass mobilisation, and curb voices of dissent.

Are we losing our freedom of expression?

This #SaferInternetDay, hear Apar Gupta of Internet Freedom Foundation talk about how blocking our access to the internet is unconstitutional and requires us to raise our voices against it.

Watch the full video here: