Turning 21 In 2020, Kala Ghoda Arts Festival Returns With A Slew Of Exciting Activities

The open for all,  free of charge festival set to witness a gamut of diverse and vibrant range of art and cultural activities across the globe.  

Over the course of two decades, Kala Ghoda Arts Festival (KGAF), India’s biggest cultural street festival has continually brought forward artists across the globe from all walks of life and restored the artistic and cultural essence of  the city. Kick starting its 21st edition, the 9-day festival promises to bring together a plethora of communities from the artistic, musical, theatrical and cinematic world together under one roof. The iconic art district of Kala Ghoda will witness the convergence of various art forms and communities from 1st to 10th February 2020.

In its 21st year, the festival will carry forward its legacy of celebrating artists and performances from across the globe.

For its current year, the festival has collaborated with the popular crowdfunding platform Ketto in its endeavour to preserve and celebrate the art district of India’s financial capital, Mumbai and its rich cultural heritage. It extended an invitation to all the Mumbaikars, for a call for support to carry forward the festival’s legacy in preserving Mumbai’s cultural heritage. After being sponsored for the past 20 years, the Kala Ghoda Association now seeks to stand up on its own feet with the aid of Mumbai people.

In its 21st year, the festival will carry forward its legacy of celebrating artists and performances from across the globe. Following is a highlight of the best activities scheduled for KGAF 2020:

• Music

KGAF 2020 is going to be no less than a concert. Every day some of the most renowned names in the field of music including Shilpa Rao, Jonita Gandhi and many other pleasant surprises awaits people

• Literature

In its 2020 edition, the focus will be on diving into the truth; the literature section will see numerous authors such as Jerry Pinto, Neena Gopal and more in interesting conversations on topics ranging from discriminations to poetry from the north east to architectural spaces and their impacts. It will also witness a number of books launches from Usha Uthup’s biography, Kaifi Azmi’s birth centenary volume to be released by Shabana Azmi and Javed Akhtar and many more

• Folk Dance

Tanya Saxena: A Bharatanatyam performance reflecting the various emotions and Rasa.

• Stand Up Comedy

The biggest of names from the stand-up world such as Abish Mathew, Kaneez Surka, Gursimran Khamba and many more are going to take the audiences on a laugh riot during the entire course of the festival

• Workshops
    Utkarsh Patel & Arundhati Dasgupta – Tracing the myths and stories that make Mumbai
  • Visual Arts

Bhavna Sonawane: Poetries in Modilipi – This artwork conveys the depletion of values like ancient languages and trees in today’s times.

Rupali Madan: This visual representation with a top and thread symbolises the natural connection between man and God and the other concept of bringing back innocence into today’s materialistic world.

In addition to the above-mentioned activities, the Kala Ghoda Arts Festival will witness an array of fun-filled and entertaining activities. Keeping up to its legacy the festival will be honouring artists from across the nation.

Commenting on the occasion, Mr. Maneck Davar – Honourable Chairman of the Kala Ghoda Association said “Kala Ghoda Arts Festival is a community centric platform which has always been for the people and by the people. The year 2020 stands testament to love and support that we have continuously received from people across different strata of the society. The tough times have passed as The Bank of Baroda and R City Mall have extended their support and joined us as our sponsors. We invite every Mumbaikar and people from across the globe to witness the magnificent magic of the Kala Ghoda Arts Festival.”

Festival Coordinator, Nicole Mody commented, “Our endeavour has been to enhance our services and offerings from our previous editions. For our present edition, we are bringing in the crème de la crème of excellence from all genres and sectors. We are certain that the 9 days of KGAF 2020 will be extraordinary in terms of talent and grandeur.”

KGAF has been the launching pad for well-known as well as emerging talents who come together every year to share the platform and foster the importance of art and culture in a society.

The Kala Ghoda Arts Festival will be held in the Kala Ghoda area between Saturday, 1st February to Saturday, i.e., 9th February 2020.