It’s More Than Just Heartbreak That Keeps Young India From Falling In Love

Another Valentine’s Day is about to come. In 2020, while many await to dive in the pool of love this Valentine’s Day, there’s still a good population of young India who resist.

Oh! They must not have found the one whom they could swipe right. But is it true for everyone?

What stops young India from falling in love?

Why does young India fear to fall in love? You believe me, the fear of heartbreak stands nowhere compared to the real reason of falling short of expectations of being one’s parents’ so-called sanskari (well mannered and cultured) child.

In India, there’s a cyclic step-by-step guide that unfolds as per the situation. Children are taught to stay away from the opposite gender (which brings us to another debate of why the LGBTQ+ community, here in India, has taken so long to realise themselves). They are so religiously ingrained with the idea of ghar ki parampara (traditions of the family) and maryada (honour) that after some time, one voluntarily chooses to stay away from the gender of attraction and by mistake even if one starts to feel something, they shut the doors to their heart by calling it paap (sin).

But with time, as they become open to other communities and their feelings, there stands another milestone. Indian parents are so emotional of their birthright over their children and finding a groom or a bride for their child, that they often sometime express it as their last wish! Therefore, falling in love means snatching a parent of their birthright which leaves us on the verge of losing our tag of a sanskari child.

Featured image for representative purpose only.