Quick Byte: Why Do Parents Not Support Inter-Cultural Marriages?

In this modern era, everyone has updated themselves with technology, but when it comes to our society, we haven’t accepted or updated ourselves fully.

In earlier times, one used to get married within one’s culture because of the many restrictions and customs that were meant to be followed. But nowadays, many people are coming into inter-cultural relationships, and understand and respect each other’s values, customs, and work-life balance. When it comes to taking a step further, there is still a probability that parents won’t be ready from either of the sides.

In my opinion, what makes them reluctant about an inter-cultural marriage is the understanding between the two sides. They think that they won’t understand the customs and traditions of the other’s family, and won’t accept or feel the same way. Maybe, the importance to the other’s traditions will be one-sided, or there will be problems and tension around what to follow and what not to.

For instance, imagining a South Indian marrying a North Indian, there might be differences, where everyone feels that they should be considered over the other.

This in itself is a task, and if parents aren’t ready for this, then they’ll be reluctant to support inter-cultural marriages.