Why PTSD Should Get More Attention From The Healthcare Department

Trigger Warning 

PTSD or Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder is a traumatic disorder that can occur in people who have either been through a horrific experience in their life or witnessed one. The reason for this disorder can be as big as a road accident, natural disaster, a personal assault or, even common affairs such as the death or disappearance of your loved ones. 

These days PTSD is affecting the lives of many; other than emotional distress, it brings forth many other mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, mood swings, etc. PTSD also affects a person’s day-to-day life and may stop them from participating in regular activities which they once used to enjoy. The stress can sometimes impact the brain so much so, that the person slowly distances oneself from their loved ones and may eventually begin amassing suicidal thoughts. Therefore, it is very important to support people affected by PTSD.

Sometimes the symptoms of PTSD start showing within a few weeks of the tragic incident while at times it may take years. Initially, it is very difficult to diagnose PTSD and find the reason behind its cause. Anxiety, guilt, panic attacks, nightmares of traumatic events are the general symptoms of PTSD. It is better to see a specialist in case you experience any such or other related signs. 

How Will PTSD Receive More Attention in Healthcare? Why is it Important?

“Indians explicitly disregard mental disorders and equate them to being possessed by evil spirits. “

In our society, mental health issues get neglected by the multitude. Majority of the families in India do not want to bring this matter to the limelight as they consider mental health to be ‘inferior’. Indians explicitly disregard mental disorders and equate them to being possessed by evil spirits. 

The National Mental Health (NMH) survey states that nearly 150 million people in India need mental health care, but hardly 50% of them receive the proper treatment. We rush to the hospital at the slightest bit of uneasiness, be it abdominal pain or severe sickness. But when it comes to getting treatment for depreciating mental health, we limp. 

It is high time now that such a conservative mindset be brushed off and mental health issues be discussed under the broad daylight. In order to bring matters of mental health to attention, the following issues must not be neglected:

• Survivors should tell their stories so that others can learn from them.
  • Doctors should share their clinical learning and educate people about such issues.
  • Society must change their conservative mindset and take mental health seriously