Quick Byte: “Whenever I Sit To Study, I’m Scared.”: Students Respond To Delhi Violence

The board exams, of students belonging to the 10th and 12th standards, are going on. This is one of the most important moments in their life. At such a time, they should only have to keep their mind calm and concentrate on their studies completely. But at this time, the violence in Delhi has shaken their soul.

NEW DELHI, INDIA – MARCH 2: An inside view of damaged Rajdhani school after the communal violence in northeast Delhi area over the amended citizenship law at Shiv Vihar, Karawal Nagar, on March 2, 2020 in New Delhi, India. (Photo by Biplov Bhuyan/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)

The students, in the areas affected by the violence in Delhi, the students who have seen all these incidents closely, are unable to pay attention to their studies. They seem completely broken. Today, their future is at stake.

Anushka, the younger sister of my friend, is giving her 12th board exams. She said, “Whenever I sit to read, I am scared. I hear voices in my head, and I can’t get enough sleep. Now, even dreams are frightening, I don’t understand how to study.

DelhiViolence2020
NEW DELHI, INDIA – FEBRUARY 24: Protesters hurl stones at Police personnel during violent clashes between anti and pro CAA demonstrations, at Jaffarabad, near Maujpur on February 24, 2020 in New Delhi, India. A Delhi Police cop and three civilians have died, a DCP-rank officer injured, a petrol pump torched, a number of houses, cars and shops burnt after clashes between pro and anti-CAA protesters in Maujpur and Jafarabad areas of North East Delhi. There was tension in the area after hundreds of anti-CAA protesters, mostly women, blocked a road near the Jaffrabad metro station connecting Seelampur with Maujpur and Yamuna Vihar. (Photo by Raj K Raj/Hindustan Times)

This is not only Anushka’s story but the story of all the students who are going through this situation today. They are more concerned about the unity of their country and their secular nation than their own future. They are worried about their friends with whom they have been playing since childhood. They are worried about their neighbours, with whom they used to eat Eid ki Sevai (a sweet dish made during Eid) and Holi sweets.

In this age, when there is so much understanding, such calm is appreciated. But, all their dreams are possible only when they worry about their own future. In this critical time, I think they need to stop social media and pay attention to their studies.