In Times Of Shortage, This Woman From Kolkata Is Making Protection Masks At Home

Over 14,700 people have died so far from the coronavirus outbreak as of 23rd March. There are currently 339,765 confirmed cases in 192 countries and territories. Twenty-two-year-year-old Debanjana Roy from the Behala area of Kolkata has taken the initiative of making a mask on her own at home with cotton.

Roy said, “I have seen masks are getting out of stock in the market and shops are selling masks of low quality at a higher price. So, I decided to make masks.” The masks that Roy is making are equivalent to a surgical mask.

She started making the masks after watching a few videos on Youtube. Alongside this, the masks that Roy is making are colourful and have different patterns. She said, “I made a mask for myself, but later on, realised that if I can sell these masks in the markets, then it will help many other people in the city.” She is receiving orders from around the city and even by post.

She added, “I am selling the masks for just Rs 50 each. The minimum order is five, with a delivery charge of Rs 40 for those who are ordering online.” She said that if someone can come to her location, then they can simply collect it from her house. This way, they can save on the delivery charge and can buy only one instead of the minimum order of five.

Roy is doing this for the protection of fellow citizens with her own funds, along with the help of her mother.

“I think most importantly, these masks are comfortable. It is safe as doctors are recommending handkerchiefs as well, so this cotton mask will also work. And the prints are good and trendy,” said Niladri Shankar Roy, a customer.

To place orders, Debanjana Roy can be reached on +91 90386 22586. 

All images have been provided by the author. 

Sign this petition to demand expanding of screening beyond government hospitals, to pre-empt the disease from becoming an epidemic.
As the coronavirus pandemic continues, it is our duty to keep ourselves informed, take care of our own health, and wash our hands! Some simple measures that we must follow include social distancing, covering our mouth when coughing and sneezing, washing one's hands regularly, and avoid crowded places, and self-quarantine! The helpline provided by the government is +91-11-23978046. Here are some resources that the WHO and the Health Ministry have created. Remember, prevention, and not panic, will see us through this!