Here Are 5 Things Students Can Do To Enhance Their Skills During This Lockdown Period

After WHO declared Covid-19 a pandemic, schools, universities, and coaching institutes in many states of the country including Delhi, Assam, Gujarat, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Uttar Pradesh have been shut down. More than 300 million students are missing out on classes worldwide as the authorities are restraining people from participating in public gatherings.

Amidst all this, educators are taking critical steps to make sure that students don’t lag academically. Online classes have turned out as the most fortunate solution to make sure that the syllabus can be completed on time, and it does not pose serious implications on the examinations. To ensure equal participation, here is what students could do to manage their studies.

1. Learn Through Online Training

The outbreak of Covid-19 compelled a lot of educational institutions to go online and deliver lessons either through presentations or recorded videos. Those students whose universities could not process the same yet, should ideally enrol in online trainings and utilise this time to learn a new skill. As students’ dependency on physical classes and teachers would no longer work; this is the time when their time management and ownership skills would come into play.

Various online training platforms have come forward to support the students by either providing hefty discounts on the trainings or letting students enrol in the same free of cost. Students could either choose a short-termed online training which aligns with their stream of study to enhance their practical understanding such as Programming with C & C++, Advanced Excel, and Core Java, or they could utilise this time to explore new opportunities through unique online trainings such as French Language training and Photography.

2. Build A Real-world Project Virtually

Every online training comes with unique industrial projects to add value to students’ learning. For example, in Java training, the students can develop a ‘connect four’ game using Java FX and basics of Java; in AutoCAD training, they can learn to build 2D drafts and 3D models, and in the digital marketing training, they would create a blog and devise an online marketing strategy on it. Real-world projects put their overall learning to test as they implement the skills they learnt.

Having a unique project of their own could prove to be a great achievement as it adds weight to the students’ resume. It also works as a sign of credibility for their future employers explaining that they have successfully learnt a new skill and they know its application. Students could utilise this time, enrol in exploratory trainings, strengthen their practical concepts through exercises and quizzes, and can build a one-of-a-kind industrial project on their name.

3. Intern Or Volunteer Virtually And Get Exposure

The availability of virtual or work-from-home internships allows students to intern with renowned organisations, enhance their skill-set, and make some extra income just with the help of a laptop and stable internet connection anytime, anywhere. While applying for jobs, even freshers are expected to have practical knowledge, and the ones with a better record of internships usually get preference. As students are restricted from travelling, and most of the offices are following the work-from-home model to fight against Covid-19, applying for a virtual internship at this time could help them explore different career opportunities.

Business development, influencer marketing, and market survey are few roles for marketing enthusiasts, whereas content writing, creative writing, copywriting, editing, and proofreading are few interesting roles for those who love writing. Similarly, students can intern in various roles in diverse fields of their choices, such as in accounts, animation, app development, biotechnology, chemistry, client servicing, commerce, and digital marketing.

4. Develop Hobbies

Pursuing a hobby tends to have a positive effect on the mental and emotional health of a person. In a situation like this, focusing on polishing any of their hobbies could help the students to stay refreshed and free of stress and anxiety during Covid-19. Whether it is painting, craft, dancing, photography, singing, playing music, reading books, sports, or anything else, spending at least 2 hours every day on their interests would help the students find mental peace.

Moreover, continuing to do so might also help the students find an out-of-the-box career opportunity. Students can start a YouTube channel where they can teach art and craft or an Instagram page to showcase their photography skills, or even start a blog to pursue writing.

5. Make A Schedule To Prioritize Tasks

Students who aim to have fulfilling online learning experience should make a schedule and avoid procrastination. As the panic around Covid-19 continues to rise, it would be difficult for the students to stay focused on their studies. The best way for students to avoid getting affected by rumours is to keep a distance from social media, create a schedule, and spend at least 2 hours a day on learning.

In an alarming situation like this, students could turn out to be more productive by prioritizing their tasks. They can simultaneously complete their university assignments and can learn a new skill with ease as their valuable time would not be spent on dressing up and commuting to attend lectures. In such a situation, students’ emotional intelligence, ability to make decisions independently, and multitasking abilities are put to the test, and through an effective schedule, they can fight against the odds.

For students, it is extremely essential to make the most of this period instead of spending their entire day on browsing content online. Other than focussing on all the above-mentioned points, students facing any sort of confusion related to the spread of the virus can take help from their parents or guardians.

If someone in their acquaintances has unfortunately suffered or is suffering from Covid-19, parents could help them deal with the emotional and mental repercussions of the same. Students can involve in a healthy discussion with their elders and can get their facts and figures right related to Covid-19 to avoid lack of knowledge and spread of rumours.

Courtesy: Internshala Trainings (training.internshala.com) – e-learning platform to learn new-age skills from Internshala.

Sign this petition to demand expanding of screening beyond government hospitals, to pre-empt the disease from becoming an epidemic.
As the coronavirus pandemic continues, it is our duty to keep ourselves informed, take care of our own health, and wash our hands! Some simple measures that we must follow include social distancing, covering our mouth when coughing and sneezing, washing one's hands regularly, and avoid crowded places, and self-quarantine! The helpline provided by the government is +91-11-23978046. Here are some resources that the WHO and the Health Ministry have created. Remember, prevention, and not panic, will see us through this!