Amit Shah Addresses Parliament Post Delhi Violence, Praises Police For Bringing Peace

Union Home Minister Amit Shah addressing the Parliament on Delhi violence.

On Wednesday, Home Minister Amit Shah finally addressed the issue of last month’s violence in Delhi in the Parliament. Mr Shah thanked and praised the Delhi Police for their work throughout last month’s incidents of violence in Delhi. He added that the Delhi Police had done a commendable job. The riots started in northeast Delhi’s Jaffrabad as an inconsistency and conflict between the protesters of the controversial Citizenship Amendment Act and its supporters.

However, the Congress party claimed that the Delhi Police was taking orders only from the Union home ministry. The opposition party has been demanding a discussion for days on this issue in the assembly. The party alleges that the aggression continued for days because of the inaction by the Delhi Police.

Mr Shah said, “The first information about the violence came around 2 pm on February 24, the last at 11 pm on February 25. I would like to place on record that after February 25 no incident of rioting took place. There have been attempts to politicize these riots. We have received thousands of videos. We are using Face identification to find the accused. It is a software so it does not differentiate on the basis of religion. We have also identified 300 people who came from UP, and I would like to place on record that after February 25, no incident of rioting took place. There have been attempts to politicize these riots.”

He also added, Over 700 FIRs have been filed, and over 2600 people have either been detained or arrested. CCTV footage is being monitored and “face identification”. He praised the Delhi Police and said, “The Delhi Police have done a commendable job during last month’s violence, confining the violence to 4 per cent of the city’s area, 13 per cent of its population and ending it within 36 hours and the government would ensure that no one responsible for the violence would go scot-freeThose Who Died In Delhi Violence Are Indians, Not Hindu-Muslim”.

As per the reports, over 50 people were killed in the violence last month in Delhi. Protesters were divided along religious lines and slogans, and each side blames the other for starting the conflict.