What Is International Women’s Day Like For A Kashmiri Woman?

Women play an essential role not only in the development of the family but also in the affairs of social, economic, and moral settings. However, they don’t enjoy equal status and are less privileged than men in most parts of the word. Women’s plight for their fundamental rights like the right to education and the right to dignity remains a faraway goal in our nation.

Women from all corners of the country have had experienced discrimination, violence, and rape. They become the victim of circumstances. Sometimes criticised for her biological attributes and sometimes by the cultural settings of the society. Since the dawn of civilization, efforts and attempts are made to promote a women-friendly atmosphere, but we are yet to achieve it. Our status, economy, and employments changed, but our perception of women has maintained a status quo.

London,UK, 22th Feb 2015 : Kashmiri Students Campaign hosts in Solidarity with the Women of Kashmir February 23, 1991 marks the date of the Kunan Poshpora incident where up to 100 women from the tender age of 7 to elderly women of 70 yrs old were Gang raped by 4th Rajputana Rifles of the Indian Army and demands them to face justices outside India High Commision, London. Photo by See Li

Women young and old across the globe were observing International Women’s Day with zeal and gathered to address women’s issues in contemporary times. However, ours is a county where women have gathered to save the country from Modi Virus, and they consider communal harmony and peace in the country a real celebration.

Staying and protesting at places like Shaheen Bagh against the discriminatory policies of the government over the last few months is worth mentioning. They are the tiger ladies of the nation. They observed fasting, faced sunny and rainy days, and trespassed Coronavirus and Modi-virus with ease. They are the new icons of the country.

They are the mothers; they are the sisters, they are the daughters, and they are the grandmothers; they are the young; they are the old; they are the pride, and we must respect the dignity of the nation.

In our country, women have been assigned the task of instrumental, not emotional roles. Yet, they have turned out to be emotionally healthy. In day to day life, violent encounters often mean women lose men in the form of a husband, father, brother, and son.

In Delhi, or for that matter, in Kashmir, violence against women has seen the loss of dear ones. Kashmiri women have seen episodes of violence in all periods of Kashmiri history. From Dogras to present-day rulers, women in Kashmir faced oppression, molestation, rape, and kidnapping under the hands of security forces. Harassment, gazing, and passing comments by the security forces have remained the order of the day for a long time.

How can a Kashmiri woman celebrate her day when she is suffering from psychological trauma? Causes of deprivation are many, but the most dominant reason is the disappearance and killings of their dear ones.  They do not know whether their sole earners are dead or alive!

Many women in Kashmir are spending their whole life either in mourning or searching. Everywhere, women are seen fighting for fundamental rights, but our case tells a different tale. Here, women are waiting for denied and delayed justice.

In every locality, young and old ladies carrying placards and at every juncture, they are expecting that their voices will be heard and counted. On posters, their unheard voices sound like this: “where are our dear ones; they are the apple of our eyes; dear son, please come back, your lone mother and daughter are waiting for you.

The women in Kashmir celebrate Women’s Day this way. They are in the contest of searching for their husbands, sons, and fathers. They spend their entire time in searching and knocking at the door of the court. They are tired now but have hope for the arrival of their dear ones.

Frequent visits to the police stations and lodging FIRs and complaining about missing report is their routine activity. Do you still think Kashmiri women will celebrate Women’s Day?

Featured image for representative purpose only.
Featured image source: Kashmir Global/Flickr.