The Coronavirus Chaos: We Have Taken Things For Granted

Let’s face it—we have all been caught off-guard, including those in the medical fraternity. COVID-19 has left everything, including the economy, in shambles. Stocks have crashed, businesses have gone bankrupt, and a large number of human lives are being lost every single day. With more than 500 confirmed cases coming to light in India thus far, the situation seems to be getting out of hand.

Back in 2011, Contagion, a film directed by Steven Soderberg predicted the deadly virus outbreak. Upon release, the film was met with rave reviews, but nobody, not even the lunatics, would have ever thought that some of our worst nightmares will come to life approximately nine years after the film’s theatrical release.

Come 2020, a global health crisis has left the world reeling in tatters. Despite all of the chaos, the disease has made us learn a few valuable lessons:

Death isn’t the worst of human fears, misery is.

The fact is: we have all taken human life for granted, haven’t we? Ah, there’s no point denying it. Coronavirus has made us realise that the human race isn’t invincible. Ours is a race as brittle as glass, and all of us are prone to disease, death, and misery.

Also, it goes without saying that all of our hard-earned money can vanish within minutes, all of it. Just look at the plight of the stock markets if you disagree.

‘Normal’ life has been derailed.

We seem to be learning that our planet, along with all of the life forms it sustains, is fragile, and we’re learning it the hard way. A godforsaken virus is killing people in large numbers while forcing us to practice social distancing. Grocery stores are running dry as people have started panic-buying stuff for the sake of stockpiling. We can’t even go out to meet our friends and colleagues, and eating out is now a distant memory. So, to top it all, we have all been robbed of the bite-sized pleasures of life.

In All Fairness, Many Of Us Have This Habit Of Taking Things For Granted, Don’t We?

Take this for an example: most of us waste a lot of food, don’t we? And now we are here, trying to keep our body and soul together in an era where food prices are skyrocketing because of panic buying.

Furthermore, many of the popular tourist attractions across the globe have turned into graveyards. Take the example of Italy, the European giant. Not long ago, the country was a darling of the honeymoon couples but has now turned into a ghost town. More than 4,000 have died in different parts of the country ever since the pandemic showed its ugly head.

To make matters worse, the country reported 627 deaths on Friday (March 20, 2020). The sick and the elderly have been dying a slow and painful death, and cannot be visited by their relatives. A feeling of perpetual sorrow seems to have made inroads into the minds of people, but there’s something much worse than affliction, i.e., helplessness. People have been dying in large numbers, and we have done nothing (because we can do nothing). Such is life, you see.

In all fairness, death isn’t the worst of our fears, but it is the pain of dying in the loneliness that makes our hearts grieve. Nearly 6000 have died across Europe, and a lot of them cannot be given a proper burial because of the fear of contagion.

Usually, we do not value people till the time they stay with us, but the moment they are gone, we tend to experience emptiness and sorrow, isn’t it true?

All of us are dying to get back to work, aren’t we? Well, it has been long since I travelled in a crowded metro. Once all of this is over ( pretty soon, I’d like to believe), I guess all of us will begin appreciating the beauty of everyday life.