Delhi Government Ensures Prompt Relief To Riot-Affected Families

The NCT of Delhi has witnessed the worst riots in decades in the last month. As many as 53 people lost their lives, and more than 200 were injured in the major communal violence that erupted in the north-eastern part of Delhi.

Babarpur, Mustafabad, Karawal Nagar, Maujpur, Bhajanpura, Gokulpur, Ghonda, Rohtas Nagar, Yamuna Vihar, Shiv Vihar, and Chand Bagh were the areas worst affected by the violence in the city. Following the mayhem that continued for 3–4 days, several departments of the Delhi government have spearheaded into action to provide relief and rehabilitation to the riot victims.

Delhi’s Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal announced free treatment for the injured in government as well as private hospitals under the Farishtey scheme. The government had made arrangements taking the help of NGOs to supply food in the areas where curfew had been imposed. He also announced a compensation amount of 10 lakhs to the families of the deceased, with one lakh as the ex-gratia amount, and five lakhs to be granted in case of the death of a minor.

A resident looks at burnt-out and damaged residential premises and shops following clashes between people supporting and opposing a contentious amendment to India’s citizenship law, in New Delhi on February 26, 2020. (Photo by Sajjad HUSSAIN / AFP) (Photo by SAJJAD HUSSAIN/AFP via Getty Images)

Amidst the strong unrest still prevailing in certain parts of the city, the Aam Aadmi Party volunteers and Delhi government officials are working on the ground to rehabilitate and relocate displaced people. Around 10 relief camps have been set up by the Delhi government in the North-Eastern district of Delhi.

Amongst the 10 camps, the biggest camp of the Delhi government has been set up at Mustafabad, which can accommodate around 1000 people and has been set up with separate tents erected for women (and children) and men, with provisions of food and water, toilets and medicines. A help desk has also been set up to assist the riot-affected to fill up compensation forms for losses.

Six help desks have been set-up in different locations in the riot-affected areas; Jagat Parking in Shiv Vihar, Gali No. 20 Shiv Vihar, Sherpur Chowk Khajoori Khas, Mother Dairy Gokulpur, Gate No. 1 Tyre Market, and Masjid Aziziya Gamrhi.

Legal help desks and medical aid camps have also been set-up to provide immediate assistance to the riot-affected victims. Mental health experts and psychotherapists from IHBAS and other institutions are working on the medical camps to aid people to overcome stress and behavioural disorders from the riots.

A reading mela has been set-up inside the Mustafabad camp for children by the Delhi Commission for Protection of Children Rights, where children are given books. Several life-skill sessions are also being organized for the children.

Delhi riots relief camp
The relief camp at Mustafabad. Image courtesy to Telegraph India, Furquaan Ameen.

To ease the process at hand, the Delhi government has also digitised the influx of people living in the tents at the Eidgah Camp. This has helped the government distinguish the number of men, women and children taking refuge in the camp.

The Delhi government has also started an intensive two-day verification drive to ensure speedy compensation to the victims of the riots that took place in North-East Delhi. Police and administration officials are verifying the losses suffered by the families. Transportation on behalf of the Delhi government has been arranged to ensure that people can be taken to the verification spots so that the compensation process can be executed at a faster pace.

Till date, the Delhi government has disbursed a total compensation of 10 crores as relief assistance and compensation. The compensation has been disbursed on the cases of deaths, severe and minor injuries, and total, substantial and minor damage to residential units.

Out of these, full relief has been provided to all cases registered under total damage to residential units, 180 out of 214 cases registered under substantial damage to residential units, and 113 out of 160 cases registered under minor damage to residential units. Full compensation has been provided to 281 cases out of 708 cases registered under damage to commercial units/shops.

Full compensation in case of severe injuries have been provided to all 79 cases registered, and all 64 cases of minor injuries registered by the Delhi government. Out of 41 death cases registered by the Delhi government, full compensation has been provided to 39 cases, and interim compensation has been provided to the remaining two cases. Full compensation has also been provided to all cases registered under the loss of Jhuggis, E-rickshaws, scooties, and animal loss.

A mob attacked Pappu’s younger brother Babbu while he was coming back from work. On 25th February, Babbu was returning home from his work during the afternoon, when his brother got a call at around 2:30. “We got a call around 2-2:30 pm saying that Babbu had been lying injured near Shaitan Chowk. When I saw him, I became hopeless because he had suffered so many injuries. We put him in the PCR and took him to LNJP hospital. He was then referred to GTB hospital, where he was treated for two days before he passed away,” said Pappu.

The assistance provided by the Delhi Government is slowly helping the family recover. He said, “SDM Sir came to our house, assisted us in filling the compensation form, and handed over the interim compensation to us. Our file had been submitted two-three days back in the SDM Court, and the full compensation has been transferred to our account. We want to construct our own house in Delhi in the name of Babbu’s children for their secure future.”