#MyPeriodStory: Early Bloomer

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #MyPeriodStory writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning Amazon vouchers worth ₹2,500! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

Whenever I would see pads in commercials and in my mother’s wardrobe I would always ask her what it is and she would shhhh me like it was some kinda drugs and it’s illegal to know about it. Unfortunately I was an early bloomer and got my first period when I was just 10 and since I had no idea what the hell was going on, I thought I had an incurable disease and I will die soon, that was the most stressful time in my whole life till now, plus I was a very shy child so It was embarrassing for me to tell anyone about my hideous disease, I mean what could I just say? ‘I am bleeding from my gentiles but I don’t have any cuts or injuries’ well I decided to keep it to myself as long as I can and wore more than 10 underwears which I had to wash every hour.

My mother still had no idea about it until I got my second period after a month gap because this time the flow was heavier and even 10 underwears weren’t helping. when my mother explained it all to me I only had one question, WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL ME BEFORE