Why Do We Make A Big Deal Out Of Board Examinations?

It’s examination season again. Students are busy preparing themselves to win the battle to score the highest percentage. Board exams are considered the most important examinations in every student’s life. Here again, millions of students are ready to face the most important phase of their lives, and once again, social media is filled with advice. 

troubled girl student
Board exams are considered the most important examinations in every student’s life.

Considering examinations as the most important phase is okay, but there is one more thing attached to examinations.  Just after the results, a few students will end up taking their lives, once again. The suicide statistics will show that the number of students committing suicide in India is alarming. 

Yes, I understand that making a generalized statement like this is not the right thing to do, but there is another fact which clearly shows that my statement is not wrong.

Last year’s statistics clearly show how the suicide rate among Indian students is increasing every year. In 2019, just after the declaration of 12th board results, more than 20 students committed suicide because they were failed in these examinations.

The question remains: what preventive steps have been taken till now? 

Like always, even this year, students and parents are excited and nervous. Students are ready to take the examinations as they should be, but nobody is thinking about what will happen after the announcement of results.

Will we see the same trend of students committing suicide? Will our education system fail us once again? These questions still remain unanswered. These questions might give an impression of a negative perspective, but somewhere, I think that it can be true as well because neither have we changed nor has our education system. Unfortunately, every year we see an increase in student suicides.

The government is trying its best to conduct fair examinations; parents are trying their best to provide the most fruitful coaching, and students are trying their best to score their best. But, the worst part is that nobody is trying to change the perceptions and taking any step to stop such suicidal acts.