Is Reservation Enough To Ensure Zero Discrimination Against People With Disabilities?

People with disabilities are one of the most under-served sections of society. No matter what the government or NGOs are doing, they still face a lot of struggles, which they often keep confined to themselves and don’t share or discuss with others.

One such discrimination I feel that they face is class discrimination. Despite reservation for PwD in various colleges for admission, they are not treated the way they deserve to be treated. During initial days, everyone is available to help and take care of them. But gradually, they feel left out in class, struggling to reach out to another person themselves. They are not able to get the undivided attention they require. Moreover, people either think that these people are here on relaxation, or act merciful to them.

Persons with disabilities still face a lot of struggles, which they often keep confined to themselves and don’t share or discuss with others.

People with disabilities are humans after all, and have the equal right to actively participate without having to ask for any favour. They are equally capable of having a space where they’re accepted the way they are, and not discriminated against. They are no less than others, and have the same potential as others in fields of education, sports or any other.

Citing a personal example, during my college, I had organised a Sports Day event specially for visually-challenged students. That day, I realised how happy they were to have gotten the opportunity to showcase their talent on a platform and achieved laurels in the activities. Also, my college’s debating group, with which I was associated earlier, took auditions and selected two people with disabilities. Today, they are winning heights and contributing the best to our college and society.

These small steps can definitely do wonders in their life, and give you a sense of fulfillment as well.