This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Amrita Angappa. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

7 Ways To Make The Most Of The Internet In This Age Of Work From Home

Every day, we get to hear about lay-offs, the skill gap between employees and organization, unemployment, and much more terrible stuff. We are in a panic-stricken phase where we need to take action immediately to shield ourselves from losing our jobs. Quartz states that according to the U.S. Census data, 5.2% of U.S. workers were working at home entirely in 2017. That averages to about 8 million people. What is the buzz behind work from home? Let’s explore more.

It’s Not The Same As Earlier Days

Every employee needs to understand that times have changed. There is no need for employees to work in a tech park or regular office atmosphere to learn new stuff any more. They can work in the comfort of their home. No more office politics. No more pesky managers. Everyone can be their boss.

Image for representation purposes only.

When many organisations like Apple, Infosys, and Google have provided employees with the privilege of work from home due to the Coronavirus outbreak, it is high-time that employees start realising the value of the internet. Now you can get your job done at home, with your kid in your lap and cat meowing beside you. The internet is like a knife. You can use it to cut the umbilical cord and welcome a new life into this world. If you are going to use it wisely, you are going to get the maximum out of it.

Let me share a few tips to make the most out of the internet:

1. Leverage online education platforms like Coursera and Udemy

They are worth the money you pay. Never hesitate to enroll in any courses or skills you feel interested to learn. It could be on improving your culinary skills or programming skills. Just join in and keep learning!

2. Be active on Community forums

Are you familiar with Github, Stack overflow, and Slack community? If not, ensure that you create an account on these pages and explore it thoroughly. They are worth being active on and building the network in your niches.

3. Attend online conferences and webinars

If you want to listen to the thought leaders and best industry people, then the right place to start would be the online conferences and webinars. They would make you aware of what’s trending in the industry currently. You would always remain updated.

4. Read more E-Books

You need not spend bucks on hard copies anymore! You can get access to the same book on different E-book websites. You can download any book from ‘The DaVinci Code’ to ‘The Secrets’ in a click. You can also read them anywhere.

5. Be active on LinkedIn

LinkedIn is an excellent platform for job seekers. If you are looking for a new job, I would suggest you make the best out of this platform. You can submit your featured articles, resume and write original articles, posts, and publish videos over here. Anybody can sign up here and have a conversation with the HR Managers and CEOs.

6. Listen to podcasts

By spending half an hour on podcasts regularly, you can get thorough knowledge of various subjects. You need access to apps like SpotifyAnchor, and Google podcast. You can download and listen to them anywhere. Platforms like Hubhopper are also the best when you want to listen to regional podcasts.

7. Read more technical blogs

Every company, right from a startup to an MNC, have started realising the importance of content. For instance, fast-growing companies like Pattern Digital have shared several insights on emerging technologies like Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Big Data on their blog page. It is a great deal that companies have started realising that content is the king!

I hope these tips would help you to get the best job opportunity. The internet can be your best friend in this age when you can strike a balance between your personal and professional life.

More from Amrita Angappa

By Vaishnavi Amare

By Internshala