What Will Happen If We Fall In Love With Robots?

In this age of artificial intelligence (AI) and with the evolution of robotic science, what will happen if we fall in love with robots?

Well, Dr David Levy believes that one day, we shall sleep with robots. He predicts that robots might replace humans as romantic partners. Additionally, he proves that the process would be preferable for humans since AI can use various probabilistic models to find your mood and fetch the best results, which shall make you happy. 

In a nutshell, you shall never be experiencing either a breakup or a divorce with a robot, since all the emotions shall work in a way to slide you into happiness. Dr Levy writes, “In the robot age, it will be quite normal for couples to own two robots – a Malebot and a Fembot – and for them to enjoy orgiastic sessions in which three or all four of them take part.”

Well, Dr David Levy predicts that robots might replace humans as romantic partners.

Although the manuscript scripted by Dr Levy is inclined more on fantasy, the context exposes various severe issues of this advanced scientific age. Being an expert in the field of artificial intelligence, Dr Levy has amalgamated the idea of ‘sex’ with ‘the robot age’ beautifully in his narration, which reveals a significant reason why we want a robot! It is lovely to have a robot that looks exactly like us and behaves almost similar to how we behave.

However, do you feel that humans can want robots to be their partners and seek physical intimacy from them? Well, that’s what the data proves.

We always believe that robots are pieces of metals, objects, and toys that can’t have any essential qualities that make one human, for example, emotions.

Well, let’s pause here for a while.

It’s time to ask ourselves a question: How do these emotions work? With the supplement of stimuli and the liberation of hormones, the pivotal point is played by the neural responses, which are nothing but electric signals. The robots also follow the same phenomenon of responding to any stimulus with the aid of signals.

The assertion raises the question: if your partner appeared entirely human, would it matter if he or she was a robot? If you discover that your boyfriend/girlfriend works via the signals originated from silicones rather than the biochemicals, would it bring any changes to you?

Some computer engineers and data scientists think that both cases shall look the same. The basis of their argument lies in the fact that the responses in both the cases are similar except for the source of their inception. It’s like when your favourite restaurant delivers your favourite dish, do you care whether the food was processed on a gas stove or induction coil?

No, because you expect the same quality of food in both cases.

The sociologist and the psychological community have a different perspective on the above stances. They assume that the incorporation of robots in seductive technology may deteriorate the human interactions. Maybe after five years of living with a robotic partner, you won’t be able to distinguish who is a human and which is a robot! Furthermore, what happens to love, family, friends, self-associated emotions, and moral conscience?

Dr Levy dedicates the book to an MIT student and writes, “who tried having girlfriends, but found that he preferred relationships with computers. And to all the other students: past, present and future, of both sexes.”

In due course of time, the professor who is also the president of the International Computer Games Association claims that science and technology shall allow us to fabricate such robots with elevated levels of intelligence. But, isn’t something is alarming here? Don’t you think this sort of a relationship shall be one which is looked at from a singular perspective?

In the contemporary age, if the boy says he wants to have a pizza, but the girl says “No” and that she wants to have something else, you see that there are two perspectives in the situation under consideration. But, in case of robots, since they shall be more inclined towards your emotions, it shall say “Let us shoot for the pizza then,” which brings down the perspective to a singular tone; which may eventually make the relationship dull as there shall only be “Yeses” and no “Nos.”

However, at times a “Yes” instead of a “No” is a massive leap of faith for a human being, as the predicted working mechanism of human emotions is based on wishful thinking. Well, this is already a question that is trending, and only time, along with a surprise element that we can expect, will tell us what lies ahead in the future on having a robot as our ‘life partner.’

This article is based on a book that Dr David Levy wrote, and whose first hardcover edition in 2007 was published by HarperCollins Publishers, titled: Love and Sex With Robots: The Evolution of Human-Robot Relationships.’ 

P.S. The image is for representation purpose only. Copyright reserved: Weebnel, 2020.