Coronavirus Update: Death Toll Rises To 3, Number Of Reported Cases Touch 125

In between the flow of news on the pandemic, a 64-year-old man died in Mumbai’s Kasturba Gandhi hospital from the novel coronavirus infection. As of today, the number of coronavirus cases in India rose to 125 plus and, as a safety measure, the country is in a near-total lockdown with states shutting down schools and colleges and banning public congregations.

Representational image. India suspended the issuing of all visas on March 11, except a few categories, in light of the Coronavirus pandemic.

A senior Maharashtra Highway Police officer said “Outbreak of coronavirus has been reported in the state. To contain the spread of the virus, the police personnel need to take precautionary measures accordingly. Hence, Traffic Police personnel in all police units should not conduct breath-analyzer tests for alcohol consumption by motorists“.

The Odisha government enforced new travel constraints by prohibiting the entry of passengers from the EU countries and the UK from March 18.

The government of India has proscribed the travel of passengers from Afghanistan, Philippines, and Malaysia to India till 31 March. Lav Aggarwal, the Joint Secretary of the Health Ministry said, “Travel of passengers from member countries of the European Union, the European Free Trade Association, Turkey and the United Kingdom to India is prohibited with effect from 18th March 2020. No airline shall board a passenger from these nations to India with effect from 1200 GMT on 18th March 2020. The airline shall enforce this at the port of initial departure”.

The count of around 125 plus cases 17 foreigners, while two people had previously succumbed to the virus in the last few days, and around 13 people have been discharged after they recovered from the virus.

Representational image. AMRITSAR, INDIA – MARCH 16: Nursing students wearing protective face masks as precaution against coronavirus, at Guru Nanak Dev hospital on March 16,2020 in Amritsar, India. (Photo by Sameer Sehgal/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)

India suspended the issuing of all visas on March 11, except a few categories such as diplomatic and employment, till April 15, to put a stop to the spread of coronavirus. A total of 7,007 people have died until now, with around 175,536 infections recorded worldwide. China has the highest number of victims at 3,213, followed by Italy with 2,158 deaths and approximately 28,000 reported cases.