Is That “Selfie” Your True “Self”?

It’s great to love oneself and feel happy about who or how you are! There is absolutely nothing wrong about being in love with yourself; after all, the “self” is the real you!

But then, is that what you are capturing when taking ‘selfies’ seems to be your favourite pass time during the day and passion at night?!

Suddenly, it doesn’t seem to matter where you are, with whom you are, for what purpose you are doing it, but taking selfies appears to be your sole objective.

Why has a mere feature of having a front camera on your mobile phone suddenly turned you around? Representational image.

You are dying to get that best profile of yours and put it up as your next profile picture or post it to your social media circle, ever anxious seeking appreciations, or should I say, approvals?!

Why? What’s the point? Why has a mere feature of having a front camera on your mobile phone suddenly turned you around? How did this feature become so powerful that you are no longer able to see yourself as part of something bigger? Why have you suddenly become the centre of your attraction?

Why have you allowed this convenient option, change the way you have started seeing the world around you, which is very much a part of the “self” you are trying to capture and share with that beautiful, but incomplete “selfie” of yours?

This post was inspired after seeing a bunch of young girls who were visiting the recently concluded Kala Ghoda Art Festival in Mumbai. While most other visitors were trying to have themselves clicked with the artist’s work in the background, these girls were drawn to the plain black background cloth covering the side walls to have their selfies clicked instead.

I wonder how “connected” were they, to the theme of “inter-connectedness” displayed in tons of beautiful ways by the brilliant artists in Kala Ghoda that day!