Jyotiraditya Scindia Joins The BJP After Exiting The Congress

On March 10, 2020, news emerged of Madhya Pradesh’s Congress MLA Jyotiraditya Scindia tendering his resignation from the party. Around the same time, news of him being expelled from the party started doing rounds.

Scindia’s resignation resulted in 22 other Congress leaders also walking out from the party, six of who were MP cabinet ministers. Scindia, who hails from Gwalior’s royal family, had been having problems with Congress for the past few years.

While BJP Leader and Scindia’s aunt Yashodhara Raje is calling this move as ‘ghar waapsi’ (homecoming), many Congress leaders have condemned this action, especially Rajasthan’s CM Ashok Gehlot and Rajya Sabha Member Digvijay Singh.

Gehlot tweeted saying, “Mr. Scindia has betrayed the trust of the people as well as the ideology.” Meanwhile, the Ex-Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh was disappointed by the decision but wished him well. According to sources, Singh even said that Scindia could’ve been a Congress nominee to Rajya Sabha, but only the BJP could give a seat to someone as ‘over-ambitious’ like him.

As for the Kamal Nath led government, it is reportedly in danger of losing its majority post Scindia’s resignation. However, the Congress is confident that it will prove its majority again as many of the MLAs who had left for Bangalore after ‘leaving’ the party have allegedly come back.

As of now, Jyotiraditya Scindia has officially joined the BJP after meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Minister of Home Affairs Amit Shah on Tuesday.