In Photos: Kashmir Shuts Down To Fight Coronavirus Scare

This time in Kashmir, no shutdown calls, but people have been dealing with a civil curfew to fight the deadly Coronavirus.

Panic gripped the whole valley last week after news about the first positive Coronavirus case in Srinagar spread. The news was then confirmed by the Jammu and Kashmir administration. According to the authorities, the patient had a history of international travel and arrived in India on March 16.

We are totally disturbed. We don’t know what to do next. We are fully dependent on civil curfew now. If we really want to be safe, if we don’t want to harm our society, we must sit at home all day and night until the government declares our areas Coronavirus-free,” said Ubaid, who is a local resident of downtown Srinagar.

Soon after the news circulated, authorities confirmed via various communication mediums, including Twitter, that restrictions will be imposed on public transport and on public gatherings in Srinagar from March 26.

Passengers and students waiting outside taxi stand  near polo view, Srinagar
Paramilitary forces used barbed wire to curb the movement of locals
Paramilitary forces used barbed wires to curb the movement of locals.
Shops were seen closed across the whole valley
No public gatherings were seen in local parks
Paramilitary forces stand guard at a roadblock following restrictions imposed as a preventive measure against the Covid-19 in Srinagar.