West Bengal Braces Up To Fight Coronavirus As It Reports Its Third Positive Case

A Kolkata resident, who has a recent travel history to the UK, has tested positive for coronavirus, making it the second confirmed case in West Bengal as of 20th March, 2020. The man returned from the UK on 13th March and was admitted to the Beliaghata ID Hospital in the city on 19th March with symptoms of Covid-19, the state government official said.

The patient’s throat swab test was collected and received by the National Institute of Cholera and Enteric Diseases, who then confirmed that the man had contracted the deadly virus. The man is in his early 20s and a resident of the Ballygunge area.

Image for representation

The coronavirus cases in India rose to 195 on 20th March, after 22 fresh cases were reported from various parts of the country. Bengal’s third case was confirmed on March 21st when a woman from Habra in North 24 Parganas, with a recent travel history to Scotland, tested positive for the virus.

In her early 20s, the woman returned from Scotland on 16th March and was subsequently admitted to the Beliaghata ID Hospital in the city with symptoms of COVID-19. The officials, however, could not confirm whether she was on home quarantine as per the protocol after returning from abroad.

Shrinwanti Mistri of South Kolkata recently came back to Kolkata from Ireland and was advised to be under home quarantine unless and until she has symptoms. Mistri is asymptomatic till date and is under self quarantine. Mistri said that she has received calls from the State Health department, asking her about her health condition. She has even applauded the efforts of the Health department by posting a status on her social media.

Image has been provided by the author.