Quick Byte: Lockdown And Suspension Of Transport Due To Corona Outbreak

India recorded 415 positive cases of Coronavirus as of 23rd March 2020, and death poll rose to seven. An 18-year-old, residing in South Kolkata, who recently returned from England, tested positive for the novel coronavirus on 17th March and on 22nd March, three contacts who were kept in isolation as they were in direct contact with the victim, were found positive, recording the seventh positive case in West Bengal. Two of them are his parents, and one a domestic servant.

To control this situation, the Central government has asked the State government to follow a lockdown. The State will be under a lockdown from 5pm on 23rd March till 27th March midnight. Only fair price shops, medicine shops, grocery shops, and other essentials services will remain open.

The Railway Ministry has also cancelled all passenger trains till 31st March. No passenger train will be allowed to operate till then. Only goods trains will be in service from 21st March midnight till 31st March midnight.

The government has also suspended Metro services in the Capital from 22nd March to 31st March. Bus, taxi services will be suspended as well.

Featured image source: Flickr/Marina Burity