How Can We Help Those Who Need It Most During This Pandemic?

Okay, the lockdown has begun and India is hiding in its home. For the next 21 days, the situation might just get more complicated in terms of resource-availability. But, are the lower-level class households or daily wage-earners prepared to face the burnt of the lockdown situation?

I am certain that the answer is NO. Any individual who is in touch with the reality of the situation will agree with me. I am not saying that the 21-day lockdown is not needed, in fact, it is the most essential step to prevent the spread. But, the hasty orders are surely going to create a worrisome situation for a considerable section of the population. I am not saying that we should have imposed the pan-India lockdown after several days, but now that it has been imposed, we should figure out the ways to reduce the trouble for the worst-affected population.

So now, instead of blabbering about the lockdown, I want to suggest some of the measures, we can adopt to make this crisis less troubling for all.

1. Let’s come together to take care of our daily wage earners. NGO’s and CSO’s (those who are still active in its fieldwork) should think of donating food to these people.  Because this is the most needed step. In fact, society organisations and resident welfare associations could at least call up their domestic staff and inquire about their financial aid for this month.
  2. For all those who have been left stranded away from their home towns, they should be allowed to lodge in night shelters (but at a certain distance), or a transportation modal service should be created to make the emergency case reach their destination.
  3. If media organisations have the power to reach out to far-away places, they should at least take responsibility of distributing foods to at least five individuals. Trust me, it will help a lot of genuinely needy people.
  4. Sanitize the places that have been put under the lockdown. Otherwise, lockdown will serve only half of the purpose.
  5. Let’s stop the spread of fake news and unscientific news related to the pandemic.
  6. Explore the option of providing food items to households. The government can also create a chain of food-delivery to the vulnerable sections.
  7. At last, please be kind and understanding towards each other in these tough times. Do not try to take advantage of anyone’s situation.

Those are some of the easiest and much-needed things we need to think about in present times.

Featured image for representation only.