Madhya Pradesh: Speaker Adjourns Assembly Without Floor Test Citing Covid-19

Created by Anil Kumar

Who will win the floor test?
The Madhya Pradesh political crisis started when former Union minister and Congress leader Jyotiraditya Scindia quit the party along with 22 other MLAs.

The Madhya Pradesh political crisis is taking a turn with every passing day. On March 16th, the budget session was scheduled. In the wake of the spread of COVID-19, the Speaker adjourned the assembly till March 26th, after the opening speech of the Governor.

In Bhartiya Janta Party’s (BJP) request, Lalji Tondon, the Governor of Madhya Pradesh, ordered the Speaker to conduct the floor test which was ignored by the Speaker. However, BJP decided to go to the Supreme Court to conduct the floor test, earlier.

Earlier, about 22 Congress MLAs, along with six ministers, had tendered their resignation to the Speaker. However, the Speaker has accepted the resignation of ministers only. With the resignation of these 6 minsters, the current strength of assembly reaches to 222. As of now, BJP has 107 MLAs. To win the floor test in assembly, Congress needs 112 votes. The current financial year would end on 31st March, and the government must get many financial bills passed to pay salaries and dues to employees.

The Madhya Pradesh political crisis started when former Union minister and Congress leader Jyotiraditya Scindia quit the party along with 22 other MLAs. He also decided to join the BJP. BJP has nominated him as their Rajya Sabha Candidate from Madhya Pradesh.

At present, all eyes are on the Supreme Court as their decision would decide the political development in Madhya Pradesh.