Delhi Budget 2020: How AAP Has Outdone Itself Over The Years

The Delhi Government led by Delhi’s Chief Minister Shri Arvind Kejriwal and Deputy CM and Financed Minister Mr Manish Sisodia presented their 6th budget, also their 1st budget after winning Delhi state elections. The budget for this financial year 2020-21 is more than the last financial year. It has been increasing every fiscal year. When AAP came to power in 2015, the budget was Rs 41,129 crores, Rs. 46,600 crores in 2016-17, Rs. 48,000 crores in 2017-18, Rs. 53,000 crores in 2018-19  and finally Rs. 60,000 crores in 2019-2020. This has been the biggest increase (almost increased by more than 23,000 crores) in AAP’s performance history. Manish Sisodia, the Deputy CM of Delhi, had mentioned that when they came to power in 2015, the per capita income of the people of Delhi was Rs 2,70,000 which is now Rs 3,65,000, three times the per capita income of the entire country.

Sectors And Projects Where These Funds Will Be Allocated This Year

Mr Sisodia also announced that Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Yojana (PMJAY) will now be implemented in Delhi. I remember how during the elections, Mr. Kejriwal would go to the public interviews and he would be asked as to why is he not implementing Ayushman Bharat Yojana in the state. He would always criticize this scheme and say that it will not work for the people of India. But, maybe due to the Coronavirus epidemic, this decision has been taken.
AAP has also announced Rs 7,704 crores to be allocated for the health sector, in which Rs. 365 crores will go for developing new mohalla clinics. More than Rs. 700 crores will be allotted for new hospitals and more than 50 crores expenses to fight Coronavirus.
When it comes to education, Mr Sisodia said that they have proposed to make 145 new government schools and also allocate Rs. 100 crores for digital classrooms and Rs 12 crores for personality development courses. Delhi is the only state in India where the share of education in the budget is 25%.

Other Major Developments

1.  Rs 193 crores allocation for the re-development of the roads for 2020-21.
  2. Wi-fi is also a major promise of the Delhi government and they have a target to install Wi-Fi connections at 11,000 places in Delhi. Only 2,000 have been set up so far.
  3. Many BJP leaders in the past elections have said that giving free DTC bus services to women is just a lollipop by this government and that it will end after March. But it will continue this year also.
  4. Many BJP leaders have previously also said that free electricity and water will soon end, but they are continuing this year too. In fact, Rs. 2820 crores subsidy has been allocated for this year.
  5. During this coronavirus epidemic, it is important for people in their homes to get all facilities. Hence, the government has introduced a health ID card system for the home delivery of medicines.
  6. Newspapers will be distributed in the Delhi Government schools.
  7. Planting more than 2 crores plants; also, the appointment of forest marshals and green award for those who will do a great job in saving the environment.
Some of these big announcements made in the Delhi budget are overall very progressive. But, in my opinion, we still, we have to see whether this vision will be successful and fruitful or not; or the fear of this epidemic will open chances for the per capita income of Delhi to go down. I’m sure the Delhi government is thinking about that.