#Period Paath: Menstruation Hygiene

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

To,

Smt. Aruna Chaudhary                                                                                                                                  Social Security,Women & Child Development                                                                                                Punjab

Subject :- Menstruation Hygiene.

Respected madam,

I am passionate about this state as you. I want to draw your attention and my views on menstruation hygiene. Menstruation is a period of 2-7 days that woman has her menstrual flow, which is when blood and tissue leave her body through her vagina. During these days it is very important to keep yourself clean. Woman should take bath in lukewarm water, keep vagina clean and change undergarments daily. The best way to keep yourself clean is to use sanitary napkins. Change the napkin after every 4-6 hours and especially before going to bed at night.

Usually women make mistake of using same napkins and tampons for a long time. If women want are using clothes it should be clean, properly washed and dried in sunlight. Mostly woman balk at having sexual intercourse during their periods, there are some who do not mind it. At the same time, the male partner must use protection as to prevent infection. There is a dire need of awareness among boys and girls and because of unawareness girls have to suffer.

I remember when I was in ninth standard we were setting in an examination hall and my friend’s periods started at that time. She was unable to tell the invigilator and her bench mate because both were males. She did not ask for washroom because she knew that pads were not provided in the washrooms. She suffered until exam finished. Many girls are suffering these kinds of physical and psychological pain everyday. Some girls do not come to school during their periods because they are made to thought as they are cursed by god.

In India there is a tradition of “kanjak” in which nine young girls who have not yet menstruating are welcomed at home and worshipped. The girls are not worshipped after they begin menstruation. Many woman experience restrictions on cooking, work activities, bathing, worshipping. This is because people consider menstruation as impure period and woman as impure being during that period. Girls, generally become aware of menstruation after they experience it. However ideally they should be provided information beforehand.

Women face unbearable pain during periods and they take pills to bear it, not good for their health. Many women cannot afford pads so they have to use clothes these clothes are not always hygienic. There is no separate facility for disposal of pads. There is a need of good policies, medical facilities and ideas to handle with it.

Our education system should introduce policies for menstruation awareness. Menstruation cycle is there in syllabus but menstruation hygiene also should be added in it so that girls and boys both may become aware. Usually we see that camps and lectures related to menstruation interact with women and not men but these camps should guide men also. With this they can help their fellow ones.

False menstruation hygiene assumptions should be broken by awareness. In backward areas there is totally unawareness regarding menstruation hygiene it can be possible by TV, radio programs, camps and lectures in their native language. Cost of sanitary pads should be lowered so that every woman can afford it. There must be regular funding for pads in institutes.

Sanitary napkins should be always available in public toilets and there should be a separate dustbin of particular colour for their disposal. There should be a toll free number from government hospitals. Through which a woman can share their problems regarding menstruation and get solution immediately. In India, women are considered as DEVI  so it is our responsibility to cater to the needs of women.

I hope you will take step forward for this as soon as possible.

Sincerely,                                                                                                                                                                   Lovepreet kaur                                                                                                                                                      MA English                                                                                                                                                              Punjabi University                                                                                                                                              Patiala