My Period Story

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #MyPeriodStory writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning Amazon vouchers worth ₹2,500! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

Today I am extremely proud to share my period story, the memory of my first time will always be an unforgettable experience. So I got my first period , in my seventh grade. During those times, there wasn’t much awareness about periods and the extra care which it needed. So when I bleeded first time, I was confused totally thus with lots of confusion and zero knowledgeable what was happening, I approached my mother to solve it, she understood and made me understand to first stop the leakage by covering it with a cloth, and like our Jain tradition, I was made to sit in a corner with instructions to not touch anyone. I seriously didn’t understood why I was bleeding, and why to sit in corner . Thus I got used to it later , one day i was itching very badly , it was an second day of my period. One person that’s my maternal grandmother made me understood to start using sanitary napkin,she made me understand that, this phase requires little care and hygiene which can save you from any kind of urinal infection. That piece of wisdom changed my life forever because after that day I started using sanitary pad which made my periods easy .