#MyPeriodStory: Painful But Strong

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #MyPeriodStory writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning Amazon vouchers worth ₹2,500! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

Hello everyone, myself Sofia I’m a 10th grade student and here is my story:

It all started when I was studying in 8th grade. I still remember that day, it was a Friday night when my younger brother observed some marks on my pants. I was so confused about that. I was tired and that time only I have returned from my tuition classes and the final exam were around the corner. I too saw the red marks in my pants and from morning I observed that I was having cramps in my abdomen and it was increasing terribly. I belong to a conservative household.

I suddenly thought that it could be periods as I was having some knowledge about it because the school in which I was studying used to organise many session for girls related to menstruation and menstrual health. At the same time I was so much nervous and I was afraid to speak up about the matter to my mom. As that time I was not so close in relationship with my mom, as she was very strict.

I used to speak up each and every matter with my father, like a good friend of mine. But my luck was bad, unfortunately my father was out of station on an office work. I was having no options other than saying about the matter to my mom and I gathered courage and brave and at last spoke to her. She was very happy when I told about the periods, I never saw before like my mom caring at that time. She hugged me tightly and I felt like someone is there for me who cares a lot.

So it was the beginning of my new life, after this everything was changed period created a good bond between me and my mom. Though for a women period is one of the most painful thing that she passes every month but we don’t show the pain in our face and we manage to live happy indeed and we all proved that we all are equal to boys and we all can do the things which boys can do.

By creating good society for women and making ourselves strong and proud. Period is not a matter of shame but a matter of pride, a matter of being strong. So many girls are still hesitating to speak about the periods to there parents, why to hesitate when it happens to all, it’s a Nature’s gift given by god. We all should change the negative motto about period and live the life happy as much as we can.