#MyPeriodStory: Why Feel Shame?

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #MyPeriodStory writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning Amazon vouchers worth ₹2,500! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

I am jahnvi batra. I read in class 12 my age is 17 and I live in rishikesh.

Ohhhh damn shittt! Ahhhh my stomach is hurting badly and see what ohh again they have come. As I feel so uncomfortable. I wake up from bed and went to get a pad asap. And by drinking one glass of warm water . Again I lie on bed as a Ill patient . My stomach hurts badly during that as it was my first day.

I can’t eat heavy things and my favorite things as I have to eat only light things. Also I can’t touch anything.

As it’s restricted to go to kitchen and temple so I m feeling very bad and sad.

It’s very painful I have mood swings .

Sometimes I started crying and sometimes laughing loudly sometime shouting also.

Mumma gives me light food like salad,sprouts,dal,Dalia, and fruits,soup,juices.

I’m missing my favorite burgers and pizzas .

I want to eat ice cream too . I can’t concentrate on studies as I m having many of cramps and it’s hurting so much.

I want to tell our government that please make some toilet here in rishikesh also appoint some ladies for that too and also provide them some sanitary napkins so that the women who feel shame during periods can use pads instead of cloth that is very dangerous for their health and can cause a severe disease.

Also there have to provide menstrual education too so that boys don’t make jokes on periods as some of boys do.

I feel shame when a boy say see she is menstruating I wanna know is that my mistake? That I am menstruating it’s a god gift , natural phenomena every women do menstruate so why me?

Why I feel shame? This thing have to be teach in every school also some counselling centres have to be made so that women and men will tell their problem and discuss them easily…

Hope it matters……