Newly Constituted Union Territory Jammu And Kashmir Finally Gets Internet Access

After 7 months of an internet shutdown, Jammu and Kashmir is getting its normalcy back. As per the Home Department of Jammu and Kashmir, the internet speed is going to be restricted to 2G but they have lifted curbs put in place on fixed-line internet services.

People with post-paid SIM cards will have access to internet services but those with pre-paid SIM cards will be able to access the internet only after undergoing verification applicable for post-paid SIM cards.

After blocking communication on August 5, 2019, the administration gave access to close to 1600 websites in January after the Supreme Court’s intervention declaring access to the internet a fundamental right. A bench of the country’s highest court said that a government cannot deprive the citizens of fundamental rights except under certain conditions.

With this fresh order, people would now be allowed unrestricted internet access. As soon as this restriction was revoked, people rushed to pay their bills and meet their daily requirements.

As per the sources, this order is on an “experimental basis” and will be valid till March 17 only.

Jammu and Kashmir DGP Dilbag Singh said, “Social media monitoring will continue and anybody resorting to any misuse will be booked under law.” On August 5, 2019, after revoking the special status of Jammu and Kashmir, the internet services in the valley remained blocked till today.

Featured image for representative purpose only.