#PeriodPaath: Menstrual Cups To The Rescue

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

To,

Smt. Smriti Irani (Ministry of Women and Child Development),

Subject- Awareness and Utilisation of Menstrual Cups

Respected Ma’am,

My name is Virali Joisher and I am an 18-year-old girl from Mumbai. The degradation of the environment is plaguing countries all across the globe today. Many countries have coined policies to curb the same. India, a country suffering from multiple crises should also think of ways to prevent further detriment of the environment. The taboos around menstruation in India are being fought with multiple campaigns today and we have somewhat achieved success in this regard. But now we need to consider the other dimensions associated with menstrual hygiene of women in India. A certain section of women still use cloth or sand during their menses, while a major chunk of the society uses sanitary pads. Both these groups of women are practicing unsafe menstrual habits.

A sanitary pad uses plastic to make it waterproof which makes it non-biodegradable. The pad also has certain chemicals. The pad ends up in landfills thereby polluting the environment. A considerable amount of women cannot afford sanitary pads for 5 days of every month.  We need to use an alternative that is both better for the women as well as the environment, and that is the Menstrual Cup. A menstrual cup is a silicone cylinder that can be placed in the vagina to collect menstrual fluid. This menstrual cup can be washed easily by boiling it in water and is reusable. The menstrual cup will last a woman for 10 years. It is also recyclable which means it is a blessing for the environment. The menstrual cup doesn’t have any chemicals unlike a sanitary pad and is thus safer for women. It is cost-effective, hygienic, easy to use, and environment-friendly.

Most women do not know about this wonderful item. It is my heartfelt request that the government creates awareness about the benefits of using a menstrual cup instead of cloth or sanitary pads. Menstrual cups should be made in India and brought to the market where the ordinary public can purchase them. Menstrual cups can be subsidized in rural areas and can be distributed to women for making them aware of it. Campaigns should be launched on how to use them and women should be made to enjoy the benefits of this cost-effective and efficient menstrual cup. I am privileged enough to know about menstrual cups and have access to them. But I wish for all my fellow women citizens to have a healthy period and also do their bit in saving the environment. Women are heroes after all!

Sincerely,

Virali Joisher

Created by Virali Joisher

Do you know what a menstrual cup is and the benefits associated with it?