This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Sachin AshaSubhash. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

#PeriodPaath: #PForPeriods

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

To,

The Principal

Kasturba Gadhi Balika Vidyalaya

Sub: Creating awareness about Mensuration in school girls.

Respected Madam,

Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalayas started to provide quality education to tribal girls are among the best residential schools. As girls coming to these schools are from economically weaker section and remote tribal areas many of these girls do not have scientific knowledge about menstruation. Other than untouchability and restrictions to enter the kitchen and temples, many superstitions are found in tribal communities over menstruation like Kurmaghar- where girls are kept out of house for seven days and many more such evil practices are being followed even today. Periods is considered as curse of god and a religious thing. Because of these misconceptions after starting periods many girls are being dropped out from school, made to marry at early age.

Being of the first generation in the stream of education, your school girls be aware of the natural process of menstruation scientifically and must develop a scientific approach towards it. Then only they could be change makers in their society acting towards breaking the taboos and misconceptions. The purpose of education will not fulfill unless and until practical usage of their knowledge is not done.

You can run ‘P for Periods’ awareness campaign in your school, where scientific information about periods will be given to girls through series of lectures, short films, games and activities. To unlearn the traditional knowledge about MC and to learn scientific knowledge will be the motto of this campaign.

I kindly request you for the permission to run this awareness campaign in your school.. It’s a need of time for MEN to act on women issues, only then we can call ourself a human.

Hoping for a positive response.

Yours sincerely

Sachin Asha Subhash

Girls discussing after P for Period session in a rural school

More from Sachin AshaSubhash

By Nisha Kumari

By Dipali Nathe

By Nikita kumari